TOEFL Writing Pattern
To excel in the university, or workplace writing a proper answer or report is a necessity. English-speaking nations are very strict about English writing as well. Therefore, the TOEFL writing pattern places all its focuses on not only testing through an essay but also similar cross-functional tasks like integrated writing.
Check out: TOEFL Writing Topics
TOEFL Writing Questions Types
The two categories of TOEFL writing pattern are:
- Integrated writing task: similar to the speaking task, this requires the candidates to thoroughly read a passage, pay attention to a brief lecture, and eventually provide a response of the listened and read materials;
- Independent writing task: Similar to the speaking task, here the candidate is required to present their own ideas, opinions, and experiences through writing.
Few more points to note about the 2021 and TOEFL 2020 pattern of writing:
- Test takers have to write two essays within a time period of 50 minutes
- For Task 1, the test taker gets a time period of 20 minutes and for Task 2, a total time period of 30 minutes is allotted
- Test takers will be measured out on a scale of 0-5 for each essay
- After two essay scores, the number will be converted to a scale of 30
- In TOEFL, if a test taker gets a score above 25 is considered a good score
- For the Integrated writing task, test-takers will get 3 minutes to read an academic text of around 300 words.
- It will be followed by listening to an audio clip of 2 minutes on the lecture
- After reading and listening, test takers have to explain how audio clip on lecture and passage will support each other to articular any opinion or logical argument
- The test taker will get 20 minutes to complete Task 1 in 150-225 words
- While writing the answer, test takers can get a view of the reading passage continuously at the side
- Task 2 is an Independent writing task, where one will not get any reading passage or audio clip to listen to
- In this section, test takers have to write on a particular opinion on their own
- Within 30 minutes, test takers have to complete Task 2 in 300 words
- Usually, for Task 2, test takers are given familiar topics to write on to express an opinion
Average rating: 0 reviews